Updated: Oct 6, 2018
Wondering where to start? Feeling overwhelmed? Follow these steps and you'll be heading in the right direction.
1.Collect your data: Do you know how many women you have in leadership positions? How many people from BAME backgrounds are on your Board? How many people with disabilities work for you? Or identify as LGBT+? What is your gender pay gap? Finding out how you’re doing is key to deciding on your starting point for improvement.
2. Find out what your strengths and weaknesses are on D&I: ask the question ‘What’s it like to work here?’, in your staff survey or in focus groups of staff. Consider an external Equality Audit to help you to get an independent answer to the question.
3. Set up a D&I group from across your organisation: Not only are they a great source of intelligence, they can also propose ideas and help you to develop and deliver the work.
4. Appoint a senior member of staff to lead the initiative to improve D&I. Make sure that they have time in their working day to progress it.
5. Harassment and bullying: Make sure that your polices and complaints processes are accessible and up to date.
6. Look after your women returning from parental leave: its one of the secrets to reducing your gender pay gap. Consider providing career coaching, reimbursing childcare expenses for out of hours meetings, reviewing your flexible work policy and don’t forget to tell them about promotion opportunities while they are away!
7. Set targets for where you want to be in 3 years time: how many BAME people do you want to see in leadership roles? How many women do you want to see on your Board?
8. Think about your meetings: does everyone’s voice get heard? Consider offering training on how to facilitate meetings in an inclusive way.
9. Address Unconscious bias in your recruitment practices: make sure you have a fair and transparent hiring policy, consider taking personal details like where you went to Uni off your application form, consider running some training for recruiting managers, think about recruiting paid interns via a specialist agency like Creative Access
10. Make a plan: write down what you want to achieve and work through it systematically.
To find out how I can help you to navigate your D&I journey get in touch via